Saturday, March 2, 2013

Collar Cocoon



Hello again beautiful people,

Today Im back with a new cocoon pattern. It was suggested to me by Nikki from Chance’s Clothes Project that there was a need for some more variations in smaller sized cocoons, and you guys know Im more then happy to put my thinking cap on when something is suggested. My aim this month is to come up with at least 5 small (14/16/18 weeks gestation) sized cocoons for you to crochet.

Why cocoons? Simply because babies this small, its very very hard to dress them. Their skin is so fragile, sometimes broken and so we want to move them as little as possible. Placing them inside a cocoon means they are secure and not moved a great deal, while still offering dignity to baby and family.




So lets get onto today's pattern. This cocoon is quite simple, and has a nice little collar that would be great for a boy, but with a few small flowers just as great for a girl.

Size wise mine comes out at almost 7 inches long and 5 inches wide and will fit a baby of 16 to 18 weeks gestation.

You will need
4mm hook
DK weight (8ply) yarn
2 matching buttons (mine are 1cm)

1. ch2, hdc 10 times into the 1st chain, sl st to join.
2. ch2, *1hdc in the first st, 2hdc in the next stitch*, join. (16)
3-4. repeat round 2 (23, 34)
5-11. ch2, hdc in each stitch around, join. (34)
12. ch2, hdc in each stitch around, do not join. From here on we will work in rows. (34)
13-15. ch2, turn, hdc in each stitch across. (34)
16. ch1, turn, sl st in the first 10 stitches, dc in the next 14 stitches, sl st in the last 10 stitches
17. ch1, turn, sl st in the first 10, hdc in the next 3, dc in the next 8, hdc in the next 3, sl st in the last 10.
18. ch1, turn, sl st in the first 13, hdc in the next 8, sl st in the last 13. End off.


Fold the corners down and add the buttons, this helps keep the corners down.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to thank you for your micro-preemie patterns. They are very easy for even my novice skills (had to learn to crochet in the round....and your things are turning out beautifully)

    I lost my daughter at 21 weeks and I was lucky that she was in good enough condition for actual clothes. But, what she wore was donated to the hospital. Had it not been for those donations, she would have had nothing for her photos.

    Since her loss, I have been trying to find a way to honor her memory. But most of the patterns I found were too difficult for me. Yours are not. I just recent.y suffered my second loss (at 8.5 weeks), and this hobby is helping me cope with that loss as well.

    Thank you, and keep the patterns coming :)

    ReplyDelete