Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Simple Barbie Gown



Hello lovelies!

Call me crazy, but I can't get enough of making Barbie clothes, even though my girls are now all officially high-schoolers and no longer play with them. Home made dolls clothes take me on a trip down memory lane. My nanna used to knit elaborate yarn and ribbon gowns for my Barbies, and I loved them so so much. There was just something special about the handmade clothes that I loved so much more than any store bought glam.

I hope your little one likes this gown, as much as I loved mine as a child. It's pretty straight forward, and fast to make. I'm hoping to do a few this year to pop away for Christmas gifts. Yes, Im starting THIS early!





You Will Need
2.5mm hook
4ply/fingering weight yarn
Small length of ribbon (or yarn) for a sash.
A small press stud or button for closing at the back

1: Ch28, sc in the 2nd ch from hook and each across. - 27

2-4: Ch1, turn, sc in each stitch across - 27

5: Ch1, turn, sc in the fist 4 stitches, sc2tg, sc in the next 4 stitches, sc2tg, sc in the next 3 stitches, sc2tg, sc in the next 4 stitches, sc2tg, sc in the last 4 stitches - 23

6: Ch1, turn, sc in the first 5 stitches, sc2tg, sc in the next 2 stitches, sc2tg, sc in the next stitch, sc2tg, sc in the next 2 stitches, sc2tg, sc in the last 5 stitches - 19

7-9: Ch1, tun, sc in each stitch across - 19

10: Ch1, turn, 2sc in each stitch across, join to the first stitch, so we can start working in rounds -38

11: Ch1, sc in the first stitch, 2sc in the next stitch, join to the first sc. - 57

12: Ch1, 2dc in the same stitch, skip 2 stitches, *(sc, 2dc) into the next stitch, skip 2 stitches*, repeat around, join to the ch1. - 57

13: Ch3, (dc, sc) in the same stitch, skip 2 stitches, *(2dc, sc) in the next stitch, skip 2 stitches*, repeat around, join. - 57

Repeat rounds 12 and 13 for s long as you want the skirt part of the dress to be, for me this was 19 more rounds. You may want a longer or shorter skirt, so adjust as nessesary.

End off and weave in tails.

Attach press stud or button for back closure. Be sure to check for fit before sewing them in place.

Place the gown on the doll and position your ribbon in the spot you want it. Tack it into place so it doesn't move at the back of the dress, and tie a knot or bow in the front.

Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. My nieces have all out grown the doll stage, it's me who still loves making them so for the last 10 years I buy and dress dolls and donate them for the local high school toy drive. It gives me an outlet for my love of doll clothes making and it provides girls with dressed dolls at Christmas.

    Thanks to thoughtful people like yourself my donation dollars go so much further with your free patterns. They truly are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful thing to do! I bet the girls that receive your dolls and their clothing just love them too!

      I've rescued a few Barbie's from op-shops, mostly naked, and given them a good scrub and a few outfits before passing them on to someone else. It's always a lot of fun!

      Delete